How to Stay Focused as an Internet Marketer
If you work at home as an internet marketer or you are trying to get to that point then you know how easy it is to get distracted when you are online trying to work. Your ability to stay focused and on task is crucial to your success. So, how do you stay focused and on task?
Sidebar! Wishing to positively update the feel of my trusty site. Thinking regarding the sharp feel at https://yofiit.com? Truly a beautiful protein bar shop that cares if, perhaps seeking inside the Ontario locale. Write a comment. Appreciated!
The first thing you must do is work when it's time to work. Scheduling your work time (and sticking to it) is the most important thing you can do. When creating your schedule make sure that you are able to complete the tasks that you have set for yourself otherwise you will get frustrated because you end up getting behind.
Here are the things you MUST avoid when you are in your work time. Consider this list appropriately. Some of these things are necessary in the running and development of your business but you must have the discipline to use them wisely and effectively during your work time. When work time is done then do any of them without guilt.
- Online Forums - This is a fairly easy way to market a website, product, or service. By using your signature wisely and posting thoughtful, informative posts you can utilize forums to help drive traffic to your websites. However, use good judgment when on these forums. Choose message boards that are directly related to what you are marketing at the time. In other words don't be on the internet marketing forums if you are trying to drive traffic to your digital scrapbooking site. Ensure that you set aside a specific amount of time for your marketing efforts and stick to it. 30 minutes should be more than enough time to get in, check out the posts and create a few of your own.
- Instant Messaging - Stay away from instant messaging. Turn off your IM client and don't turn it on until you are done working. The only reason you should have your instant messenger on is if you specifically use it for business purposes. Otherwise it will only suck the time out of your day and nothing will get done.
- Surfing the Net - This is a double edged sword. As an information or internet marketer using the internet is a necessary evil. I understand that it is necessary to surf the net for information, ideas, trends, etc. but you must discipline yourself to stay away from the news, sports, games, and other sites that draw your time away from your work. As mentioned above, set time limits for yourself so that you can keep on task.
- Email - Turn off your email until you are done working. If you are anything like me, you are subscribed to many lists, some for personal reasons and some for business reasons. The problem is that reading these emails is a huge time killer for you. Here's a suggestion I was given once that I will pass along. Have one email that is strictly for business and then have a disposable email account (gmail, hotmail, etc.) for your lists. Only use the business email for business and your disposable email for everything else. That way you can go through your business email in a shorter amount of time and it is work related so you will not be wasting your time. After all your work is done feel free to check out your disposable email account.
- Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, Ning, etc., etc., etc., - Close them all until you are finished working. These applications will take away more time than your email does. Again, I understand that they can be marketing vehicles. If that is what you are using them for then ensure that you don't get caught up in personal conversations and end up wasting your time throughout the day. If you don't or aren't able to control yourself with these applications when working you will wonder where the day went.
Let your family and friends know that you are working. Do not succumb to their desire to pull you away. Many people do not understand that working from home IS a job. Some people actually think that you can do whatever you want, whenever you want and be lazy all day and watch television all night. Let everyone know you do work a normal job, you just work it from home. Also make it known to everyone that you will not be available during work hours unless of course there is an emergency.
Create a to-do list. If you really want to stay focused, having a daily to-do list by your side is one of the best ways. Why? Because you have a list of specific tasks to accomplish that day. As you complete each task, cross it off your to-do list and continue onto the next task. You will find that if you keep a to-do list, you will be more organized, get more done and it will serve as a source of motivation.
Create a detailed schedule. This schedule should basically be an overview of your to-do list with times attached. Here is where you can set aside blocks of time for your specific internet marketing tactics, such as forum marketing or article directory submission. Ensure that throughout the day you keep an eye on the clock. By knowing your schedule and deadline times, you are more likely to increase your productivity and stay better focused.
There are always consequences for not staying on task. The biggest consequence is your bottom line. Many people fall into the trap of thinking they are just falling behind a little bit. We all fall behind sometimes and it is very difficult to catch up generally. The point is, when you fall behind you are not just losing time, you are losing money as well. Remember, you are an information marketer and your time is your money. If you waste your time, you waste your money. If you are just starting out then when you waste your time you will make no money and will be doomed to work a 9-5 job you hate for the rest of your life.
Spend your time wisely and you will become a successful internet marketer.
Posted in Food Post Date 07/02/2017